Saturday, July 6, 2013

The past couple of weeks have looked like...

Feeling fancy 
Delicious salads; shaved squash, quinoa, goat cheese, figs, cantaloupe, flax seeds over a bed of baby spinach. I made the dressing by putting herbs, oils, and cantaloupes in food processor. A bit messy. 

Absolute love bliss
The love of my life passed through New Orleans on his way to a new job and life in Panama. I wasn't prepared (but wasn't surprised) for the onslaught of feelings and emotions his coming brought. We hadn't seen each other in a while, and especially not since I got sober.

The minute I saw him I was filled with a peaceful calm, a safe and secure feeling of being home. We dove head first into the weekend and had such a great time. The outpouring of genuine love and affection I have for this man is overwhelming.

When we went our separate ways about three years ago I was in a very unstable place. I doubted our relationship, stemming from doubting myself (which is expected from being 23 years old). I couldn't shake this feeling that I would resent our relationship because of the different levels of life experience from our age difference (about 20 years), and got it stuck in my head that I was supposed to be with someone my own age.

I've spent the last three years in extreme up's and down's, working on figuring out what makes me happy, by myself, but also searching for love in all sorts of places. I think this experience was necessary, albeit painful. I still have a long way to go. I feel like a have received an amazing gift from the universe; feeling and experiencing the exchange of love we have for each other in these past few days made me realize that the love I have been searching for was there all along, being patient (I hope) and kind and supportive.

I am not going to take this gift for granted or overlook the significance of our relationship. A week later, I do feel like I'm in the downswing of a drug binge (love drug). Jonathan went on to Panama, where he is starting an amazing job in a beautiful environment that has some amazing potential. I need to stay focused with the progress and drive my own life is taking, if not for the sake of honing a career for myself for future security, but also to become the best, healthiest, and most stable person I can be for the sake of our future relationship.

It is obviously very easy for me to fall into a depression right now, focusing on the negatives and tribulations, obsessing and wrapping myself in day dreams. I feel it trying to creep up on me. And that's why I need to make that much more of an effort to stay focuses and really do the healthy things I know will keep my life moving forward. And make it so that Jonathan and I can be together again. I think that's a pretty nice goal.

Okay, on to less serious things.

Back patio at Dominique's
Jonathan and I love food and I was super excited to share all sorts of meals with him. We went to the recently opened Dominique's on Magazine and had a super entertaining meal. I wasn't too impressed with the first two dishes (the ceviche was very "deconstructed" but not in a good way), but the beef coulette knocked it outta the park. We were laughing so hard about our waiter, who seemed to have separation anxiety and announced that, "I'll see you soon", every. single. time. he left the table. My favorite part was when he brought the check, he placed freshly spun green apple cotton candy on a stick of sugar cane in the middle of the table! It was beautiful! 

Because I worked in service industry, I am very critical of service (I don't meant to be, I just notice things now). I took Jonathan across the street to La Petite Grocery for dessert. I've had one of the best meals in my life here, and the service is impeccable. We had the butterscotch pudding by suggestion and I will definitely be coming back just for that. It was also nice to be able to order a non-alcoholic cocktail of the bartender's choice and not receive orange juice and Grenadian. Thank you, La Petite Grocery bartender, for being fabulous. 

Seasoning my mortar and pestle
Whooo! I ordered a heavy granite mortar and pestle online and was so happy when I got it. I've made pesto and guacamole so far, and am super excited to make salad dressings and whatever else you  make using a granite mortar and pestle (ideas?)

Dinner
I made Jonathan and I some yummy meals while he was here. He is such a sweetheart, and loves my cooking. I oven roasted some okra (so easy and delicious, will be doing this again soon), and "blackened" some fish from the farmer's market in the cast iron skillet. Very simple and delicious.

Espresso treat from Sucre
I've been spending a lot of free time with my cousin and her little ones, lending a hand and enjoying quality family time. I have to remind myself constantly to count my blessings and remember the positive things in life, and boy, is it a blessing to have family close to you. This is a picture from one of our Friday treat days.

Reyn Yoga Studio
I decided I needed to get my butt in gear and start up my yoga practice again, if not for physical health, but mental health. I went to Reyn's studio this afternoon (because it is beautiful and she is the super cutest thing in the world) and got my butt handed to me. Jenn is a wonderful teacher and I am so out of shape. Or let me rephrase that, I am so dehydrated! I am not a big water drinker in general, but in the summer in New Orleans, you gotta do it. I had to sit down and take it easy for most of the class because I was sweating bullets and getting dizzy. Good lord, I dunno how these ladies do it every day. But I know I gotta make time for it and stick with it, it's really important.

#FarrOut app
And to finish up, here is some silliness. I love Instagram. Follow KRISTINFARR for some fun and funky art.

Goals for the immediate future: Get my drivers license, drink more water, take some cooking classes (specifically ones that involve fish catching and preparation), do more yoga, and meditate! Let's do this!


1 comment:

  1. Proud of you and I know you're going to do great things as your life unfolds! - Cousin Andrea

    ReplyDelete