Monday, March 4, 2013

Treat Yo Self!


Phew! What a weekend. Mine was filled with art galleries, French movies about love and death, cheeseburgers and ice cream sodas, and a bit of shopping in the 'burbs.

1. Boy was out of town so I was left to my own endeavors Saturday night. The first Saturday every month is Art Walk on Julia Street, when all the galleries are open later, serve booze, and people mingle. Its all a bit pretentious and trying, but I enjoyed the vibe of the new Boyd Satellite Gallery from a previous visit, and wanted to pay the lovely gallery director, Ginette Bone, a visit.


The gallery was showing works by David Eddington. Since Blake wasn't in (and I was there to meet him), I wandered about overhearing snippets of the audience's critiques. Oh, what a load of bull. I didn't think people actually talked like that about art anymore; "Well I feel the spacing of the lines is very expressive of the early oppression of the artist's family blah blah blah". Trying to pull whatever art class rhetoric they could remember. I messaged boy, "Oh, you would LOVE hating this so much right now". It was all very boushie. Apparently, the artist felt so too. 

Me: Did you use the same template to create the design on this painting as the one on this or are they all unique?

Mr. Eddington (in a bored, yet sassy English accent): Clear girl. I found it in a junk yard. What is the first thing you notice about the painting?

Me: Well, the edges aren't done, there's no frame (well hello captain obvious)

Mr. E: Yes, I like that you can see how it progressed...are you an artist?

Me: Oh, no. Uh, I guess I "craft". 

Mr. E: Well what the hell does that mean?

Me: I take care of children a lot, so I've done a good bit of projects..(ehhhh)

Mr. E: (Ew) Do you like children? I have four, my daughter she is a 'Freegan', she dumpster dives and won't ride in my car. I'd respect it, if she wasn't my daughter.

Me: Oh, uh...I like other people's children?

Mr. E: Good, the one thing I hope you get from tonight is this; don't breed.

Me: (Laughing nervously way too loud cause I don't know what else to say) Okay, well, Bye!


I've gotta start hanging out at art gallery openings more often. Such interesting conversation. 

2. I was really feeling saucy after all the art, so I decided to take myself out to dinner! Over the past couple years, I have learned how to hang out with myself. It is wonderful. I used to have social anxiety like woah. I always had to be doing something with someone, knowing what was going on, being out and about twenty fo seven. I would freak out if the person picking me up was a few minutes late. If phone calls went unanswered, I'd lose my shit (I have a very over active imagination sometimes).Gosh, that's exhausting. 

It takes some getting used to, but I love taking myself on dates. I get to choose where I go, choose what I want to eat, and feel super liberated. I believe that most things happen for a reason, and if you are sensitive to the universe's hints, pushes and pulls, things usually run smoothly and you have a grand ole thyme. The universe told me to go to Sylvain for dinner, where I saddled up to the bar next to someone else dining alone, had some great beef cheeks (no, really, fantastic), and great conversation (p.s. the bartenders at Sylvain are super entertaining and cute). 

I left in such a good mood, running into the sous chef outside and passing on the positive vibes ("Dinner was delicious, Thank you!"). I also believe the nicer you are to people, the nicer people will be to you. I decided that I needed some dessert and went again to Booty's in the Bywater (I can see this getting to be a dangerous habit). When I walked in, a friend who I was just saying I missed seeing was sitting at the bar! It truly was a fantastic night. Sigh. 

3. I spent Sunday with my Aunt Winnie (who is probably my biggest online fan, woot woot, you go Aunt Winnie! xoxoxo). We went to World Market, which is the bane of my existence. How can there be so many useless but things that I love SO MUCH in one place?! Gaaa! You kill me World Market, KILL ME! 

We had lunch at Stanley's on Jackson Square, where sitting at the old school counter completed the old school diner vibe with my delicious cheese burger and ice cream blood orange italian soda. I INHALED it. (as well as the popcorn during the movie, gaa). 

Us Williams...es...s.. ventured on to the fancy pancy Canal Place theaters to see Amour. I wont give anything away by saying it was sad. But in a "this is life" kind of way...which is..sad..and beautiful? and love? Oh, you France. We really must visit you some day....Hey, Aunt Winnie, next time let's do France, Okay?!

How was your weekend?! Do you have any special places you like to take yourself?

1 comment:

  1. Hi cuz. Why didn't I know about your blog until now? Now I've got you in my Feedly account. :) Andrea

    ReplyDelete